- John E. Pomeroy assumes temporary presidency and CEO of both Universal & Dover Technologies Inc.
- Gerhard Meese becomes Universal’s seventh President, drives significant growth at the company
- Universal receives patent for “Advanced Digital Motion Control,” allowing multiple acceleration, deceleration, and velocity rates for Surface Mount placement.
- SMT/TAB Bonder with the first application of platform concept shipped to Apple Computer.
- GSM1™ machine produced and shipped to Motorola, TX who chooses platform for their advanced manufacturing technologies; GSM1 acceptance proven by installation at 33 customer sites.
- GSM2™, dual beam configuration and Dual Head 8 family of Insertion Mount equipment is launched
- APAS Division ships first GSMxs™ high-accuracy placement machine to Hewlett Packard, Fort Collins, CO.