Back to Top
- Radial Lead Component Sequencer/Inserter product line introduced; well received by customers.
- Universal and Sanyo Electric, Japan enter “strategic partnership” with reciprocal exchange of machines to strengthen our position in surface mount market.
- Surface Mount product line gets two new additions; entry level Omniplace® Flexible Placement and Ultraplace® High Speed Chip Placement machines.
- Universal’s Advanced Process Lab (APL), founded by George Westby, is created to help Universal’s customers optimize their SMT processes.
- MEA’s 17-year association ends as that division separates to become Dover Electronics Manufacturing (DEM), a subsidiary of Dover Technologies.
- F.H. Lawson retires, ends 27-year service record. John Peebles elected as sixth Universal President.
- General business recession hits electronics industry; downturn in orders begins.
- Employee count reaches 2,700.